ROTOM is a Christian ministry dedicated to meeting the spiritual, social, physical, and psychological needs of the elderly and children under their care in Uganda & Ethiopia.
SENIOR FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM
SENIOR FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM
£20 a month supports a senior and includes:
- Regular home visits from ROTOM staff and volunteers
- Free medical screening and treatment
- Access to safe, secure, and healthier housing
- Improve self sustaining income and food security
- Support with caring for grand children
- Learn skills to improve their lives
- Opportunity to hear a clear presentation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Participate in bi-weekly fellowship days with fellow seniors which includes:
- Bible study
- Praise and worship
- A hot nutritious meal
- Workshops for improving life skills
- And many more various activities
CONNECTING WITH YOUR SENIOR
Blessing and loving others in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ always returns a blessing to our own souls. When you sponsor a senior at ROTOM we will ensure you receive annual updates as well as updated photos.
Our seniors are always happy to exchange letters and are truly blessed to have the opportunity to learn more about you and share their story. You are able to write hand written letters or send a letter in Word or PDF format via email to your local ROTOM office.
Interested in visiting your senior? Friendships are always strengthened when people are able to embrace, laugh, pray and share meals together. If you are interested in travelling to Uganda to visit your senior friend, please send your office an email to request further information.
PROJECTS & PROGRAMS
PROJECTS & PROGRAMS
ROTOM HEALTH CENTRES
The Health Centres in Mukono and Muhanga are the first of their kind in Uganda; primarily focusing on geriatric care where the granny and grandpa are valued and cared for in age appropriate and dignified ways. The ROTOM Health Centres are in ongoing need of equipment, supplies, staff, training, and funding for maintenance and operations.
Many elderly live in circumstances that are beyond anything a human being should have to endure. ROTOM assists in home repairs, renting rooms for them if needed, or even building new homes where funding is available. This project includes kitchen shelters.
WASHROOMS & LATRINES
None of our seniors live with indoor plumbing. Even latrines (outhouses) are a luxury that many cannot count their own. For approx £560, ROTOM builds a latrine/washroom combo for a senior household.
A mattress or even bedframe, leave alone sheets, blankets, pillows and mosquito nets are not something that many of the impoverished seniors call their own. The lack of these ‘luxury’ items makes their lives miserable, and that is an understatement! ROTOM helps as much as possible to assure a more healthy and dignified sleeping environment.
MONTHLY FOOD FOR SPONSORED SENIOR- Information Coming Soon
WATER COLLECTION (water drum and guttering)
A clean water source is often far from a home. ROTOM helps with a simple drum (barrel) and guttering system to enable rainwater collection and water storage. Cost: only £40.
Chicken, goats, pigs and cows are a treasure for any household in Uganda, but especially for those who have no other source of income. Besides turning the offspring into cash they also enhance the nutrition at home (eggs, milk, meat).
Through the generous support of Stephen Lewis Foundation Canada ROTOM can reach out to 150 grandmothers, 20 widows and 120 children.
Funded through the Beautiful World Canada Foundation ROTOM currently has 20 girls in this program. It supports their college and university education and empowers them to become leaders in their communities.
VILLAGE OUTREACH CENTERS
ROTOM reaches out to the un-reached vulnerable communities of Uganda with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Focus is on rural schools, prisons and hospitals without chaplains and in remote areas that do not attract many other ministries. The team also reaches out to local rural churches in need of encouragement and revival. Thanks to friends from the Christian Action Group these outreaches are made possible.
ROTOM seniors live in communities that are in dire need of help and support on so many levels. One of the enormous needs is basic medical treatment. Medical outreaches are open to the entire village and usually take a few days as the lines are long. They often coincide with evangelistic outreaches in the evening.
HYGIENE & HEALTH INTERVENTIONS
ROTOM partners with organizations from around the world to help the communities they live in as much as possible. These outreaches include handing out water treatment tablets and teaching on how to use them and stay away from dirty water and a water gravity scheme in Kahama/Kabale.
In 2017, a severe drought hit many parts of Uganda and resulted in missed harvests and increased food prices. Many of our seniors are affected. To ensure their survival and to minimize malnutrition related diseases, ROTOM has launched an Emergency Food Distribution Strategy. The first round of distribution happened in early May.
In 2011, Namutumba district was hit by a drought, which made survival a fight that no person could win alone. ROTOM intervened with the help of friends from around the world and was able to focus on bringing help to households led by older persons.
- Over 1 million seniors in Uganda live in poverty, loneliness, isolation, and hopelessness
- Seniors are among the poorest in Uganda – 64% barely manage to live on less than one US dollar per day
- Through conflict, illness, and death of the middle generation, the elderly are left to care for their grandchildren alone without any help
- More than 500,000 orphans with HIV or AIDS in Uganda are under the care of poor and helpless elderly grandparents
- 56% of the elderly in Uganda suffer from physical disabilities and 39% have visual impairments with no medical system in place to aid them
- No pension plan in place to provide for those entering old age
- No social system in place to look after children with no parents
- Those who are close to seniors lack education and means to provide support