ROTOM is a Christian ministry dedicated to meeting the spiritual, social, physical, and psychological needs of the elderly and children under their care in Uganda & Ethiopia.
- Over 1 million seniors in Uganda live in poverty, loneliness, isolation, and hopelessness
- Seniors are among the poorest in Uganda – 64% barely manage to live on less than one US dollar per day
- Through conflict, illness, and death of the middle generation, the elderly are left to care for their grandchildren alone without any help
- More than 500,000 orphans with HIV or AIDS in Uganda are under the care of poor and helpless elderly grandparents
- 56% of the elderly in Uganda suffer from physical disabilities and 39% have visual impairments with no medical system in place to aid them
- No pension plan in place to provide for those entering old age
- No social system in place to look after children with no parents
- Those who are close to seniors lack education and means to provide support
HOW WE HELP
This is done by:
- Promote the Christian faith among older persons and those under their care
- Improve the overall health of older persons
- Provide nutritious food and income security of older persons and their households
- Lessen the burden of dependents on older persons
- Increase awareness of rights and needs of older persons
- Build an effective, sustainable and lifelong learning organization
SENIOR FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM
SENIOR FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM
Currently supporting seniors in Uganda and Ethiopia
- Regular home visits from ROTOM staff and volunteers
- Free medical screening and treatment
- Access to safe, secure, and healthier housing
- Improve self sustaining income and food security
- Support with caring for grand children
- Learn skills to improve their lives
- Opportunity to hear a clear presentation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Participate in bi-weekly fellowship days with fellow seniors which includes: Bible study, praise and worship, a hot nutritious meal, workshops for improving life skills, and other various activities
Blessings and loving others in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ always returns a blessing to our own souls. When you sponsor a senior at ROTOM we will ensure you receive annual updates as well as updated photos. Our seniors are always happy to exchange letters and are truly blessed to have the opportunity to learn more about you and share their story. All letters will be scanned and emailed to Uganda or Ethiopia at the end of each month.
Interested in visiting your senior? Friendships are always strengthened when people are able to embrace, laugh, pray and share meals together. If you are interested in traveling to Uganda or Ethiopia to visit your senior friend, please send your office an email to request further information.
PROJECTS & PROGRAMS
ROTOM Health Centre Mukono and ROTOM Medical Centre Muhanga are the only medical centers in Uganda dedicated to health care of older persons. They were designed and built to provide older persons friendly environments with staff trained and oriented to care for older persons.
ROTOM health center pharmacies keep stock of geriatric medicines. Our health centers also provide affordable medical care and preventative services to the older persons and other needy people in the surrounding communities. They provide comprehensive services for physical, mental and spiritual healing.
These programs offer you a life changing mission opportunity. JFC and VFC offer individuals and groups of all ages an opportunity to participate in our work in Uganda and Ethiopia. You can be involved in diverse eye opening activities that are not only improve the lives of seniors but will bring a new perspective to live for you. The transformation is guaranteed for you, the staff and the senior or children you will engage with.
Many elderly live in circumstances that are beyond anything a human being should have to endure. ROTOM assists in home repairs, renting rooms for them if needed, or even building new homes where funding is available. This project includes kitchen shelters.
A mattress or even bedframe, leave alone sheets, blankets, pillows and mosquito nets are not something that many of the impoverished seniors call their own. The lack of these ‘luxury’ items makes their lives miserable, and that is an understatement! ROTOM helps as much as possible to assure a more healthy and dignified sleeping environment.
Many seniors without kitchen shelters have to cook inside their homes creating black spots in the house and causing respiratory and eye infections, along with other health issues. Often indoor cooking is the cause of a house fire with devastating
outcomes. Alternatively they cook outside, which comes with other challenges and hardships. Over 55% of ROTOM supported seniors have no suitable cooking places. ROTOM has designed a simple, affordable kitchen shelter aimed at providing a clean and safe cooking place for seniors supported in the program. For $430 ROTOM can construct a safe kitchen shelter, which is durable, clean, well ventilated and fitted with a cooking stove.
ROTOM builds outreach centers in communities we serve older persons in order increase the effectiveness and efficiency in service delivery. These outreach (community) centers become places of education, awareness creation and mobilization not only for older persons but the whole community including women, youths, children and local civic leaders. It is one of the ways we serve the wider community.
ROTOM reaches out to the un-reached vulnerable communities of Uganda with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Focus is on rural schools, prisons and hospitals without chaplains and in remote areas that do not attract many other ministries. The team also reaches out to local rural churches in need of encouragement and revival. Thanks to friends from the Christian Action Group these outreaches are made possible.
ROTOM seniors live in communities that are in dire need of help and support on so many levels. One of the enormous needs is basic medical treatment. Medical outreaches are open to the entire village and usually take a few days as the lines are long. They often coincide with evangelistic outreaches in the evening.
ROTOM partners with organizations from around the world to help the communities they live in as much as possible. These outreaches include handing out water treatment tablets and teaching on how to use them and stay away from dirty water and a water gravity scheme in Kahama/Kabale.
In 2017, a severe drought hit many parts of Uganda and resulted in missed harvests and increased food prices. Many of our seniors are affected. To ensure their survival and to minimize malnutrition related diseases, ROTOM has launched an Emergency Food Distribution Strategy. The first round of distribution happened in early May.
In 2011, Namutumba district was hit by a drought, which made survival a fight that no person could win alone. ROTOM intervened with the help of friends from around the world and was able to focus on bringing help to households led by older persons.