ROTOM is a Christian ministry dedicated to meeting the spiritual, social, physical, and psychological needs of the elderly and children under their care in Uganda & Ethiopia.
- It is estimated that over 1 million seniors in Uganda live in poverty, loneliness, isolation, and hopelessness.
- Seniors are among the poorest in Uganda, with 64% living on less than one US dollar per day.
- Due to conflict, illness, and death of the middle generation, the elderly are left to care for their grandchildren alone.
- More than 500,000 orphans with HIV or AIDS in Uganda are under the care of their elderly grandparents.
- 56% of the elderly in Uganda suffer from physical disabilities and 39% have visual impairments with no medical system in place to aid them.
- There is no pension plan in place to provide for those entering old age.
- There is no social system in place to look after children without parents.
- Those who are close to seniors lack the education and means to provide them the support needed to thrive.
- ROTOM expanded into this region in 2017 and is registered with the Ethiopian Charities & Society Agencies.
- The seniors served here are in a heavily urban area.
- The government does not offer a formal social security program or pension; although many worked well into their elder years.
- Many have lost their children to HIV/AIDS and now are responsible to care for their grandchildren.
- Changes in the societal perception of seniors has lead to a loss of social capital, resulting in a decline of respect for the elderly.
- Seniors are often alienated from their communities and desperate for connection.
HOW WE HELP
This is done by:
- Promoting the Christian faith among older persons and those under their care.
- Improving the overall health of older persons and those they serve.
- Providing nutritious food and income security for older persons and their households.
- Lessening the burden of dependents on older persons.
- Increasing the awareness of rights and the needs of older persons in the areas served.
- Building an effective, sustainable and lifelong learning organization for the benefit of the elderly.
SENIOR FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM
SENIOR FRIENDSHIP PROGRAM
Currently supporting seniors in Uganda and Ethiopia
- Regular home visits from ROTOM staff and volunteers.
- Free medical screening and treatment.
- Access to safe, secure, and healthier housing.
- Assistance to become self sustaining and to achieve food security.
- Support with caring for grandchildren.
- Learning skills to improve their lives.
- The opportunity to hear a clear presentation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Participating in bi-weekly fellowship days with fellow seniors for Bible study, praise and worship, a hot nutritious meal, workshops for improving life skills, and other various activities.
When you sponsor a senior at ROTOM we will ensure you receive annual updates, as well as updated photos. Our seniors are happy to exchange letters and are blessed to have the opportunity to learn more about you and share their story. All letters are scanned and emailed to Uganda or Ethiopia at the end of each month. Blessing and loving others in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ always returns a blessing to our own souls. This exchange will enrich not just your senior’s life, but your own as well.
Just $30 a month provides the opportunity for a senior adult to have access to health care, emotional and spiritual support, improved nutrition, hygiene, housing and better sanitation.
ROTOM Health Centre Mukono and ROTOM Medical Centre Muhanga are the only medical centers in Uganda dedicated to care for the health of senior adults. They were designed, built and staffed to provide for the unique needs of older persons in a compassionate and welcoming environment.
ROTOM health center pharmacies keep stock of geriatric medicines. Our health centers provide affordable medical care and preventative services to the older persons and other needy people in the surrounding communities. They provide comprehensive services for physical, mental and spiritual healing.
Are you interested in visiting your senior? Friendships are always strengthened when people are able to embrace, laugh, pray and share meals together. JFC and VFC offer individuals and groups of all ages an opportunity to participate in our work in Uganda and Ethiopia. Experience eye opening activities that not only improve the lives of seniors, but will also expand the way you look at the world.
Many senior adults endure unimaginable living circumstances. ROTOM assists in home repairs, renting rooms if needed, and even building new homes when funding is available.
Can you imagine trying to rest an aging body, without a mattress, bedframe, sheets, blankets, pillows or a mosquito net? Many of our seniors do just that. ROTOM helps provide these basic, yet luxurious items, so that seniors can have a more healthy and dignified sleeping environment.
Without kitchen shelters, many seniors cook inside their homes, creating black spots in the house, respiratory and eye infections, along with other health issues. There is also an increased risk of a deadly fire. Whereas, cooking outside, presents other challenges, such as enticing wild animals to get too close. Over 55% of ROTOM, supported seniors have no suitable cooking place. So ROTOM designed a simple, affordable kitchen shelter. For a one time gift of $430, ROTOM can provide a clean, durable and well ventilated shelter with a cooking stove to an appreciative senior.
KATUBA CARE POINT:
This shared project, supports vulnerable children under the care of senior adults in the Katuba Village in Uganda. ROTOM and Children’s HopeChest sponsor Care Point in an effort to facilitate an opportunity for these children to not just survive, but to have a life where they can thrive and flourish.
ROTOM builds outreach centers in communities where we serve older adults in order to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our service delivery. These outreach (community) centers become places of education, awareness, creation and mobilization for the entire community; including local civic activities. It is one of the ways ROTOM creates positive change that impacts the entire population where our seniors reside.
ROTOM reaches out to the un-reached, vulnerable communities of Uganda and Ethiopia with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Our focus is on rural schools, prisons and hospitals without chaplains and in remote areas that do not attract other ministries. The team also reaches out to local churches in need of encouragement and revival. Thanks to friends from the Christian Action Group these outreaches are made possible.
ROTOM seniors live in communities that are in dire need of help and support on many levels. One of the greatest need involves basic medical treatment. ROTOM’S medical outreaches are open to the entire village and it usually take a few days to get in as the lines are long. These outreaches often overlap with evangelistic events that take place in the evenings.
ROTOM partners with organizations from around the world to help the communities we serve in as many practical ways as possible. These interventions have included handing out water treatment tablets, and instruction on how they are to be used and the need to stay away from dirty water. While in Kahama/Kabale instruction has been given on how to use a water gravity scheme to collect clean water.
In 2017, a severe drought hit many parts of Uganda; resulting in missed harvests and increased food prices. Many of our seniors were affected. To ensure their survival and to minimize malnutrition related diseases, ROTOM launched an Emergency Food Distribution Strategy. The first round of distribution happened in early May.
In 2011, the Namutumba district was hit by drought, which made survival a fight that no person could win alone. ROTOM intervened through the help of friends around the world; focusing first on the households that were lead by senior adults.